TV Star Apologizes After Calling Show ’Filth’
UPDATE: After Jones’ comments made national headlines, the young actor has since apologized for his remarks in a statement, Vulture reports.
"I apologize if my remarks reflect me showing indifference to and disrespect of my colleagues and a lack of appreciation of the extraordinary opportunity of which I have been blessed. I never intended that.
The saga began yesterday when teenage star of the popular sitcom "Two and a Half Men" has thrown himself into the media spotlight after he slammed his own show in an interview in which he called his own show "filth," ABC News reports.
Angus T. Jones, 19, who plays Jake Harper on the CBS hit show, made media headlines on Monday for speaking out against the comedy. In an online interview with a church organization, Jones declares he no longer wants to be part of the show and urges views to stop watching it. The actor has been on "Two and a Half Men" since he was 10 years old.
"Jake from ’Two and a Half Men’ means nothing," Jones said in the interview. "He is a non-existent character. If you watch ’Two and a Half Men,’ please stop watching ’Two and a Half Men.’ I’m on ’Two and a Half Men’ and I don’t want to be on it."
Jones goes on to urge viewers to "Please stop watching. Please stop filling your head with filth, please. People say it’s entertainment ... the fact that it’s entertainment ... do some research on the effect of television on your brain and you’ll have a decision to make."
He added that the comedy is "bad news" and that "a lot of people don’t like to think about how deceptive the enemy is." Jones does note that the "enemy" has made him quite rich for a teenager (or anyone else). According to the Hollywood Reporter, the teen makes about $350,000 an episode and recently received a raise along with co-stars Jon Cryer and Ashton Kutcher when the sitcom was renewed for its 10th season in May.
Chris Hudson, who calls himself Jones’ mentor, posted the interview on the Forerunner Chronicles YouTube page. Forerunner Chronicles has been connected to the Voice of Prophecy Seventh-Day Adventist Church in Los Angeles, where Jones worships, according to to the New York Daily News.
The Hollywood Reporter has reported that Jones will not appear in the next two episodes of the sitcom, which are to be filmed before CBS takes its holiday hiatus. According to unnamed sources, his hiatus has nothing to do with the recent outburst.
"I’m impressed that this young man has the ability to deal with this situation in a responsible way," Hudson told ABC News. "This young man is a noble young man. Because he is not just professing Christ with his words and saying that he’s a Christian, but he’s showing the proof."
The 15-minute interview, "ANGUS JONES’s Testimony (Pt. 2)," has gone viral. The video clip has received more than 903,000 views.
According to TMZ, Jones and Hudson are very close and in the video, the teen says, "I love watching Forerunner Chronicles ... all the information is so great" and "Your videos have no doubt been a blessing to me."
When the Daily Mail interviewed the young actor’s mother she said is concerned her son is "being exploited by the church."
Jones says he is fine. "If I am doing any harm, I don’t want to be here," he said in the video. "I don’t want to be contributing to the enemy’s plan ... You cannot be a true God-fearing person and be on a television show like that. I know I can’t."
This isn’t the first time "Two and a Half Men" has been at the center of national controversy. In 2011, Charlie Sheen’s character was killed off after Sheen suffered from a public meltdown. Among (many) other incidents, Sheen trashed a room at New York’s Plaza Hotel and admitted to police he had been using coke that night. Reportedly, there was a prostitute in the closet at the time. There were reports Sheen spent $26,000 on hookers in one weekend. He also was accused of making anti-Semitic statements against his manager and the show’s creator, both Jewish.
Watch the interview below: